Saturday, February 5, 2011

winnie the pooh.


"One day when Pooh Bear had nothing else to do, he thought he would do something, so he went round to Piglet's house to see what Piglet was doing."
~The House at Pooh Corner

So begins the first chapter of the last Winnie the Pooh book that A.A. Milne ever wrote. 
I finished reading it a few days ago, and I can tell you that I enjoyed each sentence and every passing of witty dialogue immensely. Although I had never read it before, it carried this feeling of sweet nostalgia for me. Now, I know you may be thinking several things right now.
a) You are not familiar with the Winnie the Pooh gang.
b) You think it's silly and childish, and why on earth would I be writing a post on it?
If the former, I am sorry. You're dismissed. If the latter, come now! Do read the books or watch one of the movies again before you make a final judgement. Then tell me you weren't at least charmed by the pure honesty and simple nature of the stories. The way in which Milne writes is SO incredibly original.
I guess the thing I love most about Winnie the Pooh are the characters. In the first book you have-
Pooh Bear: 'The Bear of Very Little Brain'. He's Christopher Robin's favorite, and the sort of leader of the gang. He loves making up poems and songs, and despite having only fluff for a mind, he's quite thoughtful.
Piglet: "Oh, d-dear..." Pooh's sidekick, if you will. Piglet admires Pooh greatly, and while very fearful most of the time, he tries to show the others that he can be just as smart and courageous. 
Eeyore: Aw, Eeyore. The constant downer. Always convinced it's going to rain, that the others dislike him, or that their plans to cheer up Tigger will most definitely go horribly awry. Still, he's adorable.
Tigger: "They're bouncy, flouncy, trouncy, pouncy, fun fun fun fun fun!" Okay, okay, I have a favorite. I mean, come on! He's so hyper, so clueless, so... orange. I love Tigger.
And then there's Rabbit and Owl and Kanga and Roo.
They're cool too.

So, yeah. I guess those books just sort of... inspire me, somehow. I'm all into the whimsical/magical type thing  at the moment. 
Here's the last bit of House at Pooh Corner. It made me cry. Mmhm.

"So [Christopher Robin and Pooh] went off together. But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest, a little boy and his Bear will always be playing."

3 comments:

  1. That's a very in-depth analysis of Winne the Pooh katie. I believe you do have a point there. Haha, tiger is my favorite too. My favorite story in the series is most definitely THE LITTLE BLACK RAINCLOUD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I brought my dad's gigantic THE COMPLETE WINNIE THE POOH to MCI and Tatiana was literally squealing over the original artwork of Tigger.

    I agree A. A. Milne is the BEST writer ever! Read his poems. He wrote gadzillions. The W.T.P. stories are good too but his poetry is simply phenomenal. He is comparable to Bill Cosby in his ability to climb inside the mind of a young child and imitate it to absolute perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely blog. I predict you will go far and achieve all of your goals!

    ReplyDelete